Permanent exhibition in the administrative building
Library Access reserved for researchers. Appointments must be arranged in advance. The contents of the library can be seen by accessing the web site of Catálogo de la Red de Bibliotecas Públicas de Andalucia (Public Libraries Network Catalogue of Andalusia) on the following link: (new window)
Using the site's search engine, search the listing for Biblioteca del Conjunto Arqueológico de Carmona (Library of the Archaeological Ensemble of Carmona) under the letter "B" in the section ""Btcas.Conjuntos Arqueológicos".
The documents held in the Archive Archaeological Ensemble of Carmona date back to the beginning of the systematic excavations by Juan Fernández López and Jorge Bonsor, researchers who zealously compiled all the documentation they generated. The administrator, Juan Fernández, originally deposited the archive in the Colegio San Teodomiro, calle San Felipe 19, in the same place as the Museum.
Two days before the inauguration of the Necropolis, in May 1885, the Archaeological Society of Carmona was founded, a parallel body to the Necropolis with an interest in archaeological, historical and social research of Los Alcores and Campiña in the Province of Seville. The society met in the Library of the Archaeological Society to prepare the reports, excursions and extraordinary meetings - all captured in the minutes, which are kept in the specially created archive.
The regulations for the Archaeological Society of Carmona specified the inclusion of the post of ""archivist"", who would be responsible for caring for the archive and library. The Library-Museum maintained the books, manuscripts and other objects on loan from members. To read the manuscripts, the author's permission was required.
In 1888, the Archive was moved to the Convent of Santa Clara, and finally to the new site museum of the Roman necropolis. When the Archaeological Society of Carmona ceased its activities, its documents remained in the Museum's library.
After various moves, the collection reached us as it is today: broken up, unsorted and in a delicate condition. The Archaeological Ensemble of Carmona is now working on this legacy, and focusing its efforts on understanding, study, reconstruction, conservation and promotion.
The Archive of the Archaeological Ensemble of Carmona currently consists of four collections: Its own, Castillo de Luna, Ancient and special Deposit; within these 33 books, 90 bundles of papers, 215 drawings, 6 engravings, 132 photographic positives, around 2000 photographic negatives and another 2000 contact prints.
Access is reserved for researchers. Appointments must be arranged in advance. Please contact the Ensemble on the following telephone numbers: +(34) 955624615 or 955649534.
To download the request form, click here (pdf in new window. 57 Kb)
To download the reproduction form, click here (pdf in new window. 68 kb