The discovery of the Necropolis occurred by chance between 1868 and 1869, due to the flattening works of the Camino del Quemadero.
From this date, a phase of systematic plundering by enthusiasts and land owners began, with a lucrative aim, to sell the objects to collectors. This gave rise to a large number of individual collections, until in 1881 Juan Fernández López and Jorge Bonsor, together with the foreman Luis Reyes Calabazo, began a scientific project, beginning with the purchase of lands which actually make up the enclosure of the necropolis. This project was completed with the creation of the Archaeological Society of Carmona and the Museum of the Necropolis, in addition to a circuit which provided access for visitors in 1885. During these years, a large number of tombs were excavated, at the same time that the first monographic publications were begun, with respect to the site.
After the transfer of the Necropolis to the State in 1930, a new stage began which ended with the renewal of the archaeological excavations in the area of the amphitheatre, an area which had at the time yet to be discovered, and which would bring to light a series of funerary structures which were studied under the direction of Dr. Fernández Chicarro, later continued by Dr. Belén Deamos. An important contribution was the study of the Necropolis which Dr. Bendala Galán made in his doctoral thesis.
Since then to present time, the works carried out in the enclosure have been focused on the conservation and diffusion of the Ensemble, with some exceptions, such as the urgent restoration work carried out between 1997 and 1999, by Mr. José Manuel Rodríguez Hidalgo; or the demarcation of new structures as a result of the construction of the new Museum of the Necropolis and the extension programme for the access path to this museum, under the direction of Mr. Antonio Pérez Paz, in 2001.