Conjunto Monumental de la Alcazaba. printer version

research history

Excavaciones de los años 50 y documentación actual. La imagen ilustra la sección Historia de las Investigaciones
Archaeological remains from the Second Enclosure

The monumental value of the Alcazaba of Almería and the Walls around the San Cristóbal Hill with respect to Spanish historic and cultural heritage was recognised through its inclusion in the Decree on 3 June 1931.

The restoration and conditioning works to receive visitors began in 1940. The first interventions were carried out in 1941, under the direction of Francisco Prieto-Moreno, who was Architect-Curator of the Alhambra and the citadels of Málaga and Almería, and who was involved in the ensemble until 1970, carrying out works of a various kind, such as consolidations, excavations, restorations, landscaping and access work. This work has resulted in the present gardens of the First Enclosure and the Casa del Alcaide.

The second excavation campaign (1951-54) was also focused on the palace area of the ensemble and was characterised for being the first archaeological intervention carried out systematically and in which a specific methodology was used. The head of the works was F. Ochotorena, although Luis Llubía, Martín Almagro and A. Arribas were also involved from time to time.

After various cleaning interventions, documentation of the ruins and inventory of a large part of the archaeological material (1986-7) under Lorenzo Cara, in 1989 intervention works were carried out in the northern area of the palace?s private section, the service area and public baths under the direction of A. Acién, P. Cressier. F. Alcaraz and C. San Martín.

Some years later (between 1993 and 1995) several works assigned to phase V of the restoration project were carried out, under the direction of the architect Ramón de Torres. The excavations were focused around the northern wall, on the hydraulic system and the access to the First Enclosure and were directed by Domingo Ortiz, in the first stage, and later by Carmen Mellado,

The majority of the valuable cultural material belonging to the Ensemble is deposited in the Museum of Almería, although some of the pieces recovered in the first intervention were moved to the Museum of the Alhambra.