Biomedical research requires access to biological samples and their associated clinical data. To respond to this need, the PHSA Biobank is constantly renewing and innovating its procedures. The Biobank’s Research & Development & Innovation work contributes to the high quality of the samples that the Biobank works with and improves the procedures that it employs, thereby making a direct contribution to increasing the quality of biomedical research.
Currently, the SSPA Biobank pursues several areas of Research & Development & Innovation work:
- Information systems for Biobanks and Donor Registration.
- Sustainability strategies, including the optimization and improvement of the operating procedures used by the Biobank.
- Pre-analytical variables of biological samples and the search for quality markers.
- Development and innovation in management and quality processes in biobanks.
The above areas of activity are in response to:
- Research questions or needs that have been identified in some of the areas of work of the PHSA Biobank, including quality, communication, technology, and preservation.
- The objectives that the Technological Platforms are committed to.
- Collaborations with companies, research groups, and working groups.
- Development or validation of products/protocols/technologies.
- Participation in clinical trials or research collaborations.
R&D&I work performed between 2014-2020
At the Coordinating Centre for Research at the Biobank, the R&D&I activities that are performed there are co-financed by both the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the European Social Fund (ESF). In compliance with Appendix XII to Regulation (EC) 1303/2013 (which establishes the obligations that the Biobank is subject to in terms of sharing information regarding the financial support that it receives from these funds), the list of activities that the Biobank was engaged in during the 2014-2020 programming period is made public. The list of activities can be accessed here.
Scientific publications produced by the SSPA Biobank
The publications derived from the scientific activity of the SSPA Biobank
- The Andalusian Resgistry of Donors for Biomedical Research: Five Years of History. 2021. BioTech.
- Infection and immune response to porcine hemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus in grower pigs. 2021. Veterinary Microbiology.
- A cytokine network profile delineates a common Th1/Be1 pro-inflammatory group of patients in four systemic autoimmune diseases. 2021. Arthritis Rheumatology.
- Integrative Analysis Reveals a Molecular Stratification of Systemic Autoimmune Diseases. 2021. Arthritis Rheumatology.
- Comparing RNA extraction methods to face the variations in RNA quality using two human biological matrices. 2021. Research Square.
- Porcine Hemagglutinating Encephalomyelitis Virus Infection In Vivo and Ex Vivo. 2021. Journal of virology.
- Integrative epigenomics in Sjögren´s syndrome reveals novel pathways and a strong interaction between the HLA, autoantibodies and the interferon signatura. 2021. Scientific reports.
- A new molecular classification to drive precision treatment strategies in primary Sjögren's syndrome. 2021. Nature comunications.
- Genomic Risk Score impact on susceptibility to systemic sclerosis. 2021. Annals of the rheumatic diseases.
- An elevated polyclonal free light chain level reflects a strong interferon signature in patients with systemic autoimmune diseases. 2021. Journal of translational autoimmunity.
- Agrodiag PorCoV: a multiplex immunoassay for the differential diagnosis of porcine enteric coronaviruses. 2020. Journal of Inmunological Methods.
- Evaluation of RNA purification methods by using different blood stabilization tubes: identification of key features for epidemiological studies. 2020. BMC Medical Research Methodology.
- Impact of different stabilization methods on RT-qPCR results using human lung tissue samples. 2020. Scientific Reports.
- Harmonized and Quality Sample Handling in Biobank-Supported Kulticenter Prospective Studies. 2020. IntechOpen.
- Restoration of MHC-I on tumor cells by fhit transfection promotes immune rejection and acts as an individualized immunotherapeutic vaccine. 2020. Cancers.
- Mutation in ROBO3 Gene in Patients with Horizontal Gaze Palsy with Progressive Scoliosis Syndrome. 2020. International Journal of Enviromental Research and Public Health.
- Low Prevalence of HER2-Positive Breast Carcinomas among Screening Detected Breast Cancers. 2020. Cancers (Basel).
- Corrigendum to "IL8 and EDEM3 gene expression ratio indicates peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) quality" |LS|Journal of Immunological Methods 465 (2019) 13-19|RS|. 2020. Journal of Immunological Methods.
- Antiphospholipid autoantibody detection is important in all patients with systemic autoimmune diseases. 2020. Journal of Autoimmunity.
- Standardization procedure for flow cytometry data harmonization in prospective multicenter studies. 2020. Scientific Reports.
- IgM antibodies against malondialdehyde and phosphorylcholine in different systemic rheumatic diseases. 2020. Scientific Reports.
- Metabolic Disturbances in Urinary and Plasma Samples from Seven Different Systemic Autoimmune Diseases Detected by HPLC-ESI-QTOF-MS. 2020. Journal Proteome Research.
- Discovering new metabolite alterations in primary sjögren's syndrome in urinary and plasma samples using an HPLC-ESI-QTOF-MS methodology. 2020. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis.
- A Case Report of Switching from Specific Vendor-Based to R-Based Pipelines for Untargeted LC-MS Metabolomics. 2020. Metabolites.
- Detecting and Monitoring Porcine Hemagglutinating Encephalomyelitis Virus, an Underresearched Betacoronavirus. 2020. mSphere.
- Biobanking Spotlight on Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Presenting the Collective Experience of the ISBER-EMEA Regional Ambassadors. 2020. Biopreservation and Biobanking.
- Pluripotent stem cell regulation in Spain and the Spanish National Stem Cell Bank. 2020. Stem Cell Research.
- Analysis of Menstrual Blood Stromal Cells Reveals SOX15 Triggers Oocyte-Based Human Cell Reprogramming. iScience. 2020. iScience.
- iPS-Derived Early Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Cells from SPMS Patients Reveal Deficient In Vitro Cell Migration Stimulation. 2020. Cells.
- Stabilization of Human Whole Blood Samples for Multicenter and Retrospective Immunophenotyping Studies. 2020. Cytometry A.
- An Evolutive and Scientometric Research on Tissue Engineering Review. 2020. Tissue Engineering, Part A.
- Detergent-based decellularized peripheral nerve allografts: An in vivo preclinical study in the rat sciatic nerve injury model. 2020. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine.
- Evaluation of myopic cornea lenticules. A histochemical and clinical correlation. 2020. Experimental Eye Research.
- Expanded Differentiation Capability of Human Wharton's Jelly Stem Cells Toward Pluripotency: A Systematic Review. 2020. Tissue Engineering Part B Reviews.
- The challenge of discovering the threshold concepts of medical research areas: A bibliometrics-based approach. 2020. Medical Hypotheses.
- Virus emergentes y nuevas zoonosis. Lecciones aprendidas de una pandemia. 2020. Actualidad Médica.
- In search of an evidence-based strategy for quality assessment of human tissue samples: report of the tissue Biospecimen Research Working Group of the Spanish Biobank Network. 2019. Journal of Translational Medicine.
- On the Use of Buffy or Whole Blood for Obtaining DNA of High Quality and Functionality: What Is the Best Option?. 2019. Biopreservation and Biobanking
- IL8 and, EDEM3 gene expression ratio indicates peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) quality. 2019. Journal of Immunological Methods.
- Validation and meta-analysis of kappa index biomarker in multiple sclerosis diagnosis. 2019. Autoimmunity reviews.
- Quality assessment on the long-term cryopreservation and nucleic acids extraction processes implemented in the andalusian public biobank. 2019. Cell Tissue Banking.
- Epigenome-Wide Comparative Study Reveals Key Differences Between Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and Related Systemic Autoimmune Diseases. 2019. Frontiers in Immunology.
- Urinary and plasma metabolite differences detected by HPLC-ESI-QTOF-MS in systemic sclerosis patients. 2019. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis.
- Molecular Characterization of Monocyte Subsets Reveals Specific and Distinctive Molecular Signatures Associated With Cardiovascular Disease in Rheumatoid Arthritis. 2019. Frontiers in Immunology
- A new procedure for DNA isolation from saliva samples and comparative analysis of quality indicators. 2019. Journal of Biothecniques
- Effect of continuous positive airway pressure on inflammatory, antioxidant, and depression biomarkers in women with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trial. 2019. Sleep.
- Validation and Meta-analysis of kappa index Biomarker in Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis. 2019. Autoimmunity Reviews.
- Urinary and plasma metabolite differences detected by HPLC-ESI-QTOF-MS in systemic sclerosis patients. 2019
- Identification of the m missing protein hyaluronan synthase 1 in human mesenchymal stem cells derived from adipose tissue or umbilical cord. 2018. Journal Proteome Research.
- Mesenchymal stem cell's secretome promotes selective enrichment of cancer stem-like cells with specific cytogenetic profile. 2018. Cancer Letter.
- Standard PRE analytical Code version 3.0. 2018. Biopreservation and Biobanking.
- IL8 and IL16 levels indicate serum and plasma quality. 2018. Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine.
- Quality management systems for laboratories and external quality assurance Programs. 2018. IntechOpen.
- Genetic association analysis of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and obesity-related phenotypes. 2018. Gene.
- MHC Intratumoral Heterogeneity May Predict Cancer Progression and Response to Immunotherapy. 2018. Frontiers in Immunology.
- Development of COL3A1-Specific Real-Time PCR Assay for Clinical and Sport Detection Applications. 2018. Journal of Chromatography.
- Rapid establishment of the European Bank for induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (EBiSC) the Hot Start experience. 2017. Stem Cell Research.
- Cell lines authentication and mycoplasma detection as minimun quality control of cell lines in biobanking Cell Tissue. 2017. Cell and Tissue Bank.
- Prevalence and genetic diversity of Trichomonas vaginalis in the general population of Granada and co-infections with Gardnerella vaginalis and Candida species. 2017. Journal of Medical Microbiology.
- DNA Source Selection for Downstream Applications Based on DNA Quality Indicators Analysis. 2016. Biopreservation and Biobanking.
- Points to consider in the development of seed stocks of pluripotent stem cells for clinical applications: International Stem Cell Banking Initiative (ISCBI). 2015. Regenerative Medicine.
- Morphology, cell viability, karyotype, expression of surface markers and plasticity of three human primary cell line cultures before and after the cryostorage in LN2 and GN2. 2015. Cryobiology.